Monday, September 17, 2012

So much to report. I don't think anybody wants a 3 page blog post, so I'll try to summarize.
Calvin is such a happy boy and so energetic. Honestly, too energetic for a hotel room, small van rides, and appointments for filling out bundles of paperwork. As a favorite at the orphanage (especially by visiting Americans), he was definitely spoiled and that brings some issues as well, but he has a great personality. With these huge changes in his life, we wondered when he would break down and cry and it finally happened. After a small scolding yesterday he cried for a long time yesterday afternoon; he was inconsolable. And then as soon as it began he was perfectly fine again.
On a side note, this trip is a real ego boost for Miranda (and Carson if he cared about girls and women fawning over  him). Everybody tells Miranda how beautiful she is here. Our current guide (female), who has been wonderful, told Miranda right away that she wanted to take many pictures of her everyday. I think the culture must prohibit the women from commenting on the handsomeness of the men :)
After our appointment at civil affairs, we went to the Wanda Plaza--a super upscale mall with stores like  Gucci. Looking around the city, I'm not sure who would actually shop there, but Miranda had fun trying on some things with the employees who had just as much fun dressing her up. My shopping list rarely includes things from Gucci, but I did find a dairy queen, so that made my day. Oreo was the only decent thing they mix their blizzards that I recognized that wasn't a fruit or vegetable. And the bathrooms here (except for at our hotel)... I will not speak of them.
Our guide suggested an Italian restaurant at Wanda Plaza, which sounded great: pizza, spaghetti, garlic bread--we were ready! We split up with the guide for lunch and so the language was a real barrier. I tried so hard to order. The waitress tried so hard to understand me. I don't know what else to say, except that I have new insight into that whole Tower of Babel ordeal. Brilliant. We finally ate a few things, though not necessarily what I was trying to order.
Today we go back to civil affairs to finalize some things, then we will visit his orphanage, and who knows what else--the adventure continues.

1 comment:

  1. God is faithful! It's wonderful to hear from my brethren on the other side of the small world we live on and feel how the love of Christ is being poured out on a little child.

    ReplyDelete